Contageion - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 1 » Contageion
Contageion
LunowDate: Monday, 2012-12-24, 9:39 AM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
It starts with a cough. It ends with death on an unimaginable scale.

"Contagion," the new thriller by Steven Soderbergh, tells a story for our time, a story of raging menace and out of control fear. It offers us thirtysomething days in the life of a global pandemic, a lethal virus that travels like the wind and kills without a trace of mercy. This may not fit any conventional definition of entertainment, but it certainly keeps your eyes on the screen.
- LA Times

This is not a documentary. It is a movie with a very good cast of actors. One of the big themes that we study this year is the way in which the world is connected. This movie deals with globalization and how much the world has become a smaller place. The time-space compression (quickening of events over time and the shortening of differences over distance) has changed the world in which we live. While we benefit from globalization, there are some hidden dangers. This movie investigates one of them... the spread of infectious disease.

The movie also deals with the concept of diffusion. A whole lot of diffusion.

Enjoy,
Mr. L[u]

phuongpham1999Date: Tuesday, 2015-04-07, 6:43 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Phuong Pham period 6

The movie, Contagion, gives a perfect example of contagious diffusion, which plays a huge role with this unknown disease. It first started from one woman visiting the city Hong Kong, and eventually infecting more with whoever she comes in contact with. Through cities such as London, Chicago, Tokyo, and etc. eventually leads to millions more to be infected. The worldwide spread of this infectious disease also was aided by globalization, with modern transportation, such as airplanes and any public transportation. Space-time compression can also be seen with the rapid spread of this deadly disease reaching worldwide within 24 hours.

I would give this movie an overall 3.5/5 because I felt like I was left in the dark with how it ended. There were too many loose ends, and I feel like there should have been more that was told. Though I have to say, this story did have me frightened because it showed how easily a disease could spread through the slightest contact. In a matter of hours the world was left in chaos, and this would be a representation of our world if we were to ever face a situation like this.

Message edited by phuongpham1999 - Tuesday, 2015-04-07, 9:31 PM

kassidytranDate: Tuesday, 2015-04-07, 8:51 PM | Message # 3
Private
Kassidy Tran - Period 5

Contagion portrays a huge example of the contagious diffusion of a disease. The hearth of the disease is Hong Kong, an incredibly important port and a city where businesses cluster. From Hong Kong, people traveled to other large and important world cities, like London, Tokyo, and Beijing. The movie shows how globalization affects the spread of the disease - with interconnected trade networks and improved transportation, the rapid spread of the disease is a result of space-time compression. Overall the plot of the movie showed a great example of diffusion and globalization.

The movie itself was a thriller and had me on the edge of my seat. However, although the plot was interesting, there were still many loose ends and plot holes that left me wondering when the movie finished. The characters had little development and some seemed to have no significant purpose in the movie. I give this movie a 3.5/5.

Message edited by kassidytran - Tuesday, 2015-04-07, 8:52 PM

ayyyyylmaoooDate: Saturday, 2015-04-11, 11:27 PM | Message # 4
Private
(apparently you can't edit after a period of time oops)

Contagion is a 2011 heartgripping thriller about a virus that infects itself around the globe. The movie is exciting and keeps the audience tuned to the screen, however, it climaxes to a disappointing ending to an overall well made film. 
   The story takes off from the perspective of Beth Emhoff after her trip from Hong Kong. After returning to her home, she displays cold-like symptoms and contracts to severe seizures. To the shock of her husband Mitch, she dies in the hospital from what the doctors recall as a type of virus that attacks the nervous system.
    A main geographical concept throughout the movie has been diffusion. Primarily contagious diffusion, the disease spreads from one human source to tons of individuals in a series of days. It goes two by two instead of a wide difference in the spread. This also leads to globalization, as social destruction is rampant across the world rises from the pandemic. The spread of the virus through physical contact and technology for communication with people, it makes it easier for the disease to infect others. Furthermore, diffustion can also be seen during the scene with cospirator Krumweide. He "cures" himself with the disease using a type of plant, his video creates a mass hysteria for infected citizens to find the cure. When the cluster in places that have the plant, more people are infected. Space-time compression plays its role with the increased communication around the globe, it helps increase the spread rate of the virus. 
    The movie in general had a dramatic and well planned script for a disaster type film. However, the characters were a big mess, each one containing their own storyline which would not connect together into one big plot whatsoever. Viewers are first introduced to the Emhoff family, then to researchers at the Centers for Disease Control, then to another researcher called Orantes on her mission to find the origin of the virus. There are so many inconsistencies in the storyline, many details are either missing or not included. There are too many characters and each one only has his/her part of their shared screentime with no further explanation when their time is done. The ending left many unanswered questions and nothing more than a flashback.  I would not give this film an Oscar, nor any other award, sorry. Great film to watch with little kids though, spread the awareness.  

Period 4, Minhthi LE

lealx12Date: Thursday, 2015-12-31, 5:15 PM | Message # 5
Private
Xavious Leal - Period 2

Contagion is a 2011 sci-fi thriller/drama horror film about a new, highly contagious, lethal virus named MEV-1. It spreads and kills quicker than many other virus, and space-time compression and globalization only aid it in its spreading. Public transportation carries sick people long and far distances, infecting everyone at point A, B, and everyone in between. It spreads through contagious diffusion (hahahahahahahaha pun sort of intended) when a man who runs an online blog "discovers" a "cure" and 12 million people believe this incorrect idea. They search for the cure frantically, and when they do, they prance around all willy-nilly believing they can't get MEV-1, and only aid in its spreading this way. It spreads even quicker in places with a high population density, such as Hong Kong, the hearth. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), send out officials that get kidnapped or infected. Society begins to collapse as paranoia sets in.

I think I now have a new favorite movie. It's a gripping drama/thriller which made me very sad at some points (WHY DID YOU GUYS NEED TO MAKE DR. ERIN MEARS DIE?!), and some moments were very "aha!, I KNEW IT! (cough cough the chef being patient zero cough). It kept me on the edge of my seat and kept me wanting to know what happened next. I grew onto the characters and their stories and unique personalities (except the blogger I hate that guy), and thought everything was tied up neatly in the end, despite what the other reviewers say. It doesn't have to say exactly what happened next, just the way it ended you can infer what happened. People continued dying, people continued being vaccinated. The virus eventually killed everyone who was still susceptible and humanity eventually rebuilt society. The only things that gave me problems were the wife dying and the moments leading up to her death, like when she was wearing the robe and dropped her coffee, which really really made me upset (I don't care if she was cheating, it made me very sad) and Dr. Mears dying. I absolutely adored her last attempt to help the man next to her who wanted a blanket. She tried to give him her sweater, and that really touched me. I'd give this movie all the awards.

10/10 ign would watch again am going to watch again

5 stars.

16cle3Date: Saturday, 2016-01-02, 2:05 PM | Message # 6
Private
Christine Le period 2

In the movie contagion, it is about a disease that spreads worldwide killing millions of people. It's hearth was in Hong Kong and it spread through contagious diffusion. Beth was in Hong Kong for business and she contracted the virus there. She then went to Chicago and gave her ex boyfriend the disease. Later on, she passes it onto her son. The disease, MEV-1 made it to places such as Cairo, Japan, Minnesota, etc. It is spread through transmission, that means you could get the disease by touching a sick person or touching something that they touched. Symptoms include flu symptoms, seizures, and then a coma. The epidemiology of the MEV-1 virus was hard to find a vaccine for, but after testing on monkeys, they found a cure. In places with a high population density, the disease spread quicker. People panicked and began robbing stores, attacking others to get food, and fighting in order to get a vaccine.
    In all honesty, I thought this movie needed more action and thriller because it didn't really keep me interested.  The only somewhat sad part for me, was when Dr. Mears died. Even then, that didn't really evoke any emotion in me because the character was barely introduced, then the disease killed her. There needed to be more suspense. Even when the guys in masks broke into Dr. Cheevers house to try and get the cure, there was barely any action. They just yelled at the wife, and that was it. I was a bit disappointed, because there were really good actors and actresses in the movie, but none of them really gave strong performances. In the scene where Matt Damons wife died, he was confused at first, and then he accepted it. NOOOOO! If your wife died, you should be bawling on the ground and sad music should be playing in the background. This movie was really boring. I rate it 2/5 stars.

Message edited by 16cle3 - Saturday, 2016-01-02, 2:06 PM

yenakangDate: Saturday, 2016-01-02, 11:41 PM | Message # 7
Private
Yena Kang Period 3

The movie Contagion has great references to the information in unit one of AP human geography. It portrays the process and the definition of contagious diffusion. In the movie, the 'MEV-1' virus infects one person (Beth Emhoff) but soon there is a rapid, widespread diffusion of the ones infected. The general hearth of this virus was located in Hong Kong where the first person to come in contact with the virus was infected. Soon after the virus infected people in London, Tokyo, Abi Dhubi, and the United States along with much more countries. The number of infected were increasing rapidly from 20 cases to 89,000 making its way up to 8 million people. Globalization played a key factor in the initial spread of the virus and also the information about the virus. Transportation such as airplanes, trains, busses and subways made it easier and faster for the virus to spread. As people piled into a single compacted vehicle, one infected person could have easily infected more than a dozen and as those people travel to different towns, cities, states, and countries they carried the virus with them to those locations and eventually spread it to different people all over the world. Also, globalization applies to communication. People were able to become more connected and more informed about the outbreak of the virus. Scientists from Hong Kong were able to communicate with the scientists from the U.S. in order to solve the epidemic before them. Along with that, people became aware of this virus through the internet, news, social media, and tv which created awareness but also provoked panic as depicted in the movie when people were robbing stores, starting riots and breaking into homes.

I rate this movie a 4 out of 5 because i enjoyed watching the movie, it was very educational and related to a real life scenario. The scary and thrilling part was that this has and could happen, in the case of the recent ebola epidemic. I especially liked how they showed how the virus came into contact with humans (in the end), showing all the hosts, starting from the bat to the banana to the pig which eventually got to the butcher who transferred it to the first human host. I liked all the actors and actresses who played a part in this movie even though some of them didn't play a big role, the cast was still made up of the most talented actors/actresses such as the main character Matt Damon, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard, and Laurence Fishburne. However, I also liked how the movie did not stray from the original conflict, which was a deadly virus that was killing mass amounts of the population. There were a few small conflicts (on the side) but they all circled around the main conflict; the movie was all about trying to find out how to find a cure to the virus and there were no unnecessary melodramatic scenes and if there were they were short and shifted back to the virus issue. So overall, i believe that this was a good movie

Message edited by yenakang - Saturday, 2016-01-02, 11:48 PM

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 1 » Contageion
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: