City of Joy - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 3 » City of Joy
City of Joy
LunowDate: Friday, 2017-12-22, 8:51 AM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
City of Joy takes place in India and is a colorful, action-packed story that can spark student indignation at the ways the
characters are treated and the conditions in which people live, thus
providing an emotional hook for studying geographic themes and the
concepts connected to each. The film follows the experience of a family that migrates from a rural area to an urban area looking for work and opportunity. Through
this story line, the film offers the chance to discuss the spatial
characteristics of cultural identity, urbanization, development,
migration, and the impact of colonization, which correspond to topics in
the Course Description.

21qnguyen2Date: Thursday, 2018-04-05, 1:42 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
City of Joy take place in a struggling region of India. It tells the story of two men Hazari and Max. In this movie, Max was a surgeon from U.S. and quitting his job to find a new life, so he went to India where he meet Joan, who's the director of the clinic, and Hazari who's a man trying to find a job to support his family. During their life in the city of joy, they meet a man known as "The Godfather" who controlled everyone and forces them to do what he said. The Godfather with his gangs do this by terrorizing everyone through violence and destruction. Eventually they were able after to revolt agaisnt Godfather's gang when he passes away. 
 I would rate this movie a 6/10 since it only show a very limited part to the culture of India. The main thing it showed was the patriarchy of the Indian society. Also the plot to me was quite disappointing since I feel that they should've developed the characters much better.

Quan Nguyen, Period 1

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 3 » City of Joy
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: