The Future of Food - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 5 » The Future of Food
The Future of Food
LunowDate: Saturday, 2011-11-19, 8:15 PM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
Before compiling your next grocery list, you might want to watch filmmaker Deborah Koons Garcia's eye-opening documentary, which sheds light on a shadowy relationship between agriculture, big business and government. By examining the effects of biotechnology on the nation's smallest farmers, the film reveals the unappetizing truth about genetically modified foods: You could unknowingly be serving them for dinner. - from Netflix

I used to show this documentary in class. It is awesome - content wise, but not visually. It does not have the glitzy production value that some newer movies have. This movie addresses many of the themes and issues that we will study.

It focuses a lot on the idea of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). This would fit into our Unit 8 (future resource issues) as agricultural businesses (agribusiness) tries to meet increased future food demands with increased technology. This could even fit into a discussion of Neo-Multhusians (Unit 2).

The GMOs are controversial, and this movie does a great job investigating some of the concerns with this technology. In addition to the GMOs and our health, the movie also investigates the increasing power of agribusiness in our political processes her in the USA. The huge company Monsanto comes off very unfavorably in this movie as it squeezes small farmers out of business and attempts to destroy some of the basic assumptions that have governed farming since the Neolithic Revolution almost 10,000 years ago. Monsanto wants to patent genes...

The power of companies like Monsanto in our democracy is concerning, and addresses our Unit 4 (Political Geography). It also investigates the international linkages in our new globalized world (Unit 6 - Economic Geography), and focuses on the development of GMOs and farming in Mexico. In fact, one of the results of improved efficiency in US farming put Mexican peasant farmers out of business and forced them off their land. This eventually led to migration to the USA (Unit 2- Migration).

This movie also discusses farming and rural land use (Unit 5).

On the whole, this movie covers a lot of ground and introduces a lot of very good information.

JadenTheRusherDate: Wednesday, 2015-04-08, 11:51 AM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Jaden Nguyen- Period 4

The documentary, The Future of Food, discuss the possible outcomes of food production in years to come. It brought up Thomas Malthus who believe that we can't feed the growing population of Earth. Later on in the documentary, it became mostly about GMOs and how it affect the food in which we eat. Crops that have been grown by farmers have been subsidized by the government and resulting in biological diversity. I believe that the documentary main ideas was whether GMOs food can save the hunger and starvation in other countries in 2050 when the world's population is at more than 10 billion. 

Overall, I felt that this movie was a 4/5 and it express the impacts of GMOs production.

{DylanNguyen}Date: Wednesday, 2015-04-08, 8:42 PM | Message # 3
Private
Dylan Nguyen - Period 5
The Future of Food provides an investigation behind the truth of genetically engineered food in the US.It has many impact on the lives of farmers due to the risk of using it on food.This is related to Human Geography because of Malthus's theory who believed that population growth would quickly exceed the carrying capacity and cause overpopulation and social problems.During the documentary it showed us how GMO are affecting what we eat.It can be good such as providing us faster growing food with more nutrients or it can contain harmful chemicals that can killed us all.The main idea of the truth behind GMO is that it can helped us produce more food ending world hunger in other countries.

I would give this documentary a 3/5 mostly because I didn't like the idea of eating insects ughhh. But the documentary wasn't too bad it gave us an insight of the idea of Genetically Modified food.

majessticunicornDate: Sunday, 2015-04-12, 8:47 PM | Message # 4
Private
Jessica Nguyen- Period 6

The Future of Food, written and directed by Deborah Koons Garcia, is a documentary film that investigates the genetically engineered foods that have been in the US markets for awhile. This film is very dense and consisted of many facts. Not only did this film focus on the United States, there was a slight overview on Canada and Mexico. Throughout the entire film, there were interviews with farmers and their opinions on the food industry. I felt very sympathized for the farmers since the new engineered foods and chemicals will be affecting their work and lifestyle. I learned a lot through out this film, but I also was very disgusted. GMO's are slowly spreading, and overpowering all the daily foods we eat. This film had a very negative connotation to the spread of GMO's. This film goes very deep into detail of the fear of losses of local food systems. However, GMO's are believed to have the ability to save hunger, and be a theoretical cure. GMO's are messing with the biological diversity of a lot of crops.

Overall, this film was very dense with facts, and kind of difficult to watch, I would rate this 3.1/5!

Message edited by majessticunicorn - Sunday, 2015-04-12, 8:48 PM

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 5 » The Future of Food
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: