All In This Tea - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 5 » All In This Tea
All In This Tea
LunowDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 7:51 PM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
"Few people know the fascinating history of tea growing and making. This intriguing documentary aims to change that by following renowned tea importer David Lee Hoffman as he scours the far-flung corners of China to find the richest teas on earth. Tea making is an art and tradition that goes back generations in the East, and Hoffman makes it his goal to bring to the rest of the world the exquisite teas produced by struggling small farmers." - from Netflix

This documentary traces the footsteps of David Lee Hoffman as he tries to find and purchase the best teas in China to import to California. It provides an interesting social history about the importance of tea in society. It also does a very good job in illustrating the difficulties in making business deals in China. It shows us a glimpse of some of the issues we will cover in the Unit 6 - Industrialization and Development unit. Hoffman also has some interesting observations regarding the importance of soil and organic farming, as it relates to taste, quality, and sustainability. All of this, and the documentary is not even that long!

18atonDate: Friday, 2015-04-10, 11:35 AM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Alan Ton - Period 4

In the documentary "All in This Tea", a man named David Lee Hoffman who is a tea expert pursues the top notch teas that can be found in China. Hoffman discovered that some of the best tea in China can be found on tiny farms, rather than famous factory brands. The best tea was crafted by hand and free of chemicals. Hoffman is critical on the distinct tastes and aromas of various teas showing that Americans are willing to pay more money for the tea of their preference.

The documentary proves that tea with all sorts of chemicals is not as good or healthy as organic tea. This relates to AP Human Geography because the United States heavily relies on pesticides and fertilizers to produce tea even though the best tea is made traditionally. Hoffman shows willingness to purchase exports of a Chinese farms tea, hoping to change American standards of their tea. 

Personally, I was intrigued by the art of tea-tasting. Hoffman was impressed by tea found on a tiny farm but wasn't impressed by China's most popular tea. This makes me curious of the food I eat and how there are many other ways it is made that I have not explored. This documentary was a 9/10 because it was informative, while also being interesting and adventurous.

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 5 » All In This Tea
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: