Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

Book Review: Four stars out of five - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Hopes and Prospects by Noam Chomsky » Book Review: Four stars out of five
Book Review: Four stars out of five
KCarrilloDate: Tuesday, 2013-06-11, 8:14 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
My personal review of the book is that it was definitely worth the read. It is both in depth and eye opening. Chomsky’s depressive realism and satirical tone illustrate the ongoing dogma and domination of the United States when it comes to foreign policy. Hopes and Prospects definitely deserves a bit of admiration because Chomsky brings up such sensitive topics in a frank and unabashed way that shed light onto the heinous actions of the United States and the blindness of its uninformed citizens and the rest of the western world. The book's title, is a spin on Chomsky’s view in that it is purely sarcastic, which highlights the book’s rather depressing and sobering impression, because most of Chomsky’s words are very negative and strongly against current geopolitical problems and the hypocrisy of our leaders. The book provided me with much more information than our mainstream media would have and is truly insightful. Despite it’s depth and complexity, the book overall was a very laborious and tedious read. The vocabulary, while certainly upper level, was not difficult (although I would not recommend this as a reading for anyone who is not capable of reading college type texts). Chomsky’s literary style is obtuse and difficult to follow, as he tends to weave in and out of topics and touch back upon what he has mentioned without consistency. His words tended to ramble on and his frequent use of sarcasm required me to read certain texts several times in order for me to figure out whether he was being serious or if he was truly being sardonic. However, the topics he discussed were very interesting and truly provided a sense of shrewd and bitter awareness at the geopolitical problems going on in the world and provided a newly found consciousness of the shallow rhetoric of the United States and its actions. I would recommend this book to anyone inexperienced with Chomsky’s works and for anyone who wants to see the world as it is, stripped of media and bureaucratic cover ups. For its audacious uncovering of the truth, I'd give it 5 stars; however, Chomsky's writing style definitely proved to be difficult, so I'd have to settle with giving it four out of five stars.

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Hopes and Prospects by Noam Chomsky » Book Review: Four stars out of five
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: