Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

4 Stars - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi » 4 Stars
4 Stars
MonicaCDate: Tuesday, 2013-06-11, 0:55 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
I would give it a 4 stars flat out of 5!

Reason as to that is if your into a memoir then consider reading this. It starts out to be honest boring at first due to the fact that you may not know the background of the Iranian Revolution in 1979. And the author Azar Nafisi is a women who faces tyranny within Iran from religious leaders who suppress the people through fears and intimidation. For example, the author herself was forced to wear veil, but refused to and because of that she had to quit her beloved job as a professor at the University. In which, instead every week she rounded up 7 of her best students to come by to have a private literature session. Where the women would unveil themselves in the private of the author's own home. And escape through reading "Western" literature, and looked into the imaginary good of their country and escape from the bad that their facing themselves. Where reading those "Western" books like The Great Gastby, Lolita, or Pride and Prejudice could get them severely punished if caught reading those forbidden books.

I would suggest that if you read this book, you may need to know a thorough background knowledge of the Islamic religion about women that must wear the veil to cover their face or the hijab. Since in this book it would symbolize a trap behind their own independence and freedom from tyranny. Rather then a use to obey Allah (God) and respect themselves as women. Instead it was a way to distinct themselves as second class to men, and be forced to withstand the "irrelevant" ways of what culture and society condemns them to be. As well, throughout this book may get depressing to read since there were side stories from the 7 students of the authors that she told of their lives they had to go through. Such as, the oppression and acts of their government towards women in general during that time frame and continuing now from 20th-21st century.

I thought this story was overpowering and showed how women can shape the world through their own actions. It's alright in my opinion a flat 4/5 smile

Message edited by MonicaC - Tuesday, 2013-06-11, 1:00 AM

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi » 4 Stars
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: