Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

Three cups and Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin » Three cups and Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (**** stars)
Three cups and Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
sharkyDate: Monday, 2013-06-10, 8:38 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
Greg Mortenson's endeavor to establish schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan is truly inspiring. After he saw group of children writing in the dirt with a stick, he promised to come back and help. This ultimately led to the creation of the Central Asia Institute (CAI), which has helped to construct and staff 63 schools across
Pakistan and Afghanistan.

I enjoyed that one of the main focuses of the CIA and the book was to spread awareness of schooling girls. Generally in the Muslim religion, the education of girls is neglected. However Mortenson believed that girls can become leaders in the community and pass on what they've learned. If the people desire culture change, empowering women was the answer. With education women could improve their basic hygiene and health care, and fight high rates of infant mortality. Education and literacy for girls globally is the most important investment all countries can make, and the best way to ‘fight’ terrorism within Pakistan and Afghanistan.Thus in the schools built to serve nearly 60,000 children, more than 40,000 of them were girls.

This book is very eye opening. Personally I knew that there were conflicts in the Middle East but this book certainly gives the readers more insight of the political situations in Pakistan and Afghanistan. It also addresses the international tension between the U.S. and the Middle East.

This book for a fact impacted me greatly. It reassured me that with passion and dedication one can truly impact and change the world. biggrin

“The real enemy is ignorance and ignorance breeds hatred. You can drop bombs, you can build roads, but if you don't educate girls, the society is not going to change.”- Three Cups of Tea ( deep, enough said biggrin )

Message edited by sharky - Monday, 2013-06-10, 8:47 PM

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin » Three cups and Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin (**** stars)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: