Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

4/5* - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Touching My Father's Soul by Jamling T. Norgay » 4/5*
4/5*
ThaoDate: Tuesday, 2013-06-11, 9:27 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
In the novel "Touching My Father's Soul", written by Jamling Tenzing Norgay, he envelops his readers in his journey to the top of Mt. Everest. Growing up, his father, Tenzing Norgay, was always distant and mysterious so when he died, Jamling sought answers about who he was. Unable to find any clues, he thought that if he was able to LITERALLY follow in his father's footsteps, he would be able to see the world through his eyes. The mountain represents spiritual understanding and a place of respect, filled with answers. This decision brings to light the spiritual conflict he has as he prepares to risk his life in climbing this mountain. His struggle to accept the Sherpa beliefs only grows as expedition date quickly approaches. This novel presents a multitude of religious inquiries and cultural aspects, so if you're not interested in learning about that, I recommend that you look for another book. Being Buddhist, this book was of great interest and allowed me to learn more about the different branches of Buddhism. It discusses many unique cultural characteristics and gives us the perspective of those living in LDCs, different to our typical American society. Overall, it is an honest and detailed description of a man's desperate attempt to understand his culture and people. I give it a four out five stars.  cool

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Touching My Father's Soul by Jamling T. Norgay » 4/5*
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: