Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

4****stars - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins » 4****stars
4****stars
KidJeff09Date: Sunday, 2012-06-10, 5:17 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: 2011-2012
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, by John Perkins, is I would say a very informative book. It's an autobiography explaining himself getting hired as an Economic Hit Man (EHM) and traveling the world. An EHM's typical job is to ""convince countries [LDCs] that are strategically important to the United States to accept enormous loans for infrastructure development and make sure that the lucrative projects were contracted to the U.S. Corporations." EHMs just go into developing countries and make them dependent on U.S. resources. This man John Perkins, becomes an expert in the field and works with the World Bank, IMF, and other global institutions; and goes to countries like Panama, Indonesia, and Saudi Arabia. Through his experiences, he becomes friends with political leaders, and sees the corruption in the streets of those countries. He fights with his conscience and eventually quits his work because he felt it was wrong to play a major role in forming a world empire by taking advantage of the less fortunate in the world.
I'd say this book has information that everyone should know, but it was a pain reading it, haha. 'Cause it forces you to already know the background of global institutions, countries, and a lot of vocabulary. wink But ya'know, I encourage that you read it and try your best to have fun with it. smile

Message edited by KidJeff09 - Sunday, 2012-06-10, 5:58 PM

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins » 4****stars
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: