Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

2.5 Stars - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Consumed by Benjamin Barber » 2.5 Stars (Consumed by Benjamin R. Barber)
2.5 Stars
DannyDate: Monday, 2012-06-11, 5:04 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: 2011-2012
In this book, Benjamin R. Barber talks about how markets are corrupting society. More people are acting as consumers instead of regular citizens, and buying whatever they want, whenever they want. The markets are aiming their products toward children and infantilizing adults. Infantilization of adults means that adults are being treated as children and they start to shop more just like children. Parents are starting to teach their children to shop whenever they want, which is what Benjamin is afraid of. This type of consumerism is spreading throughout America. He also talks about how to resist this type of infantilization, but you can find out when you read the book!

When I read this book, it was really hard to understand because he switched from topic to topic very quickly. This book also had only quotes,facts, and his own opinions, which made the book very boring to read. Overall, I would give this book a 2.5 stars because it was very difficult for me to read. But I like how he uses lots of quotations and information to back himself up.

Message edited by Danny - Monday, 2012-06-11, 5:08 PM

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Consumed by Benjamin Barber » 2.5 Stars (Consumed by Benjamin R. Barber)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: