First They Killed My Father - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 4 » First They Killed My Father
First They Killed My Father
LunowDate: Friday, 2017-12-22, 8:44 AM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
First They Killed My Father is a 2017 biographical historical [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thriller_(genre)]thriller film[/url] directed by Angelina Jolie and written by Jolie and Loung Ung, based on Ung's memoir of the same name. Set in 1975, the film depicts 7-year-old Ung who is forced to be
trained as a child soldier while her siblings are sent to labor camps
during the Khmer Rouge regime.

21ktran9Date: Friday, 2018-01-05, 11:10 AM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Kayla Tran - Period 3

This movie strongly portrays the genocide that happened in Cambodia that killed more than 2 million people. In 1975, the Khmer Rouge emptied cities in Cambodia and forced the people to be tortured and starved in labor camps, with the hope of turning Cambodia into a Communist country. This shows political conflicts because not only are the Cambodians arguing with the Khmer Rouge, the US and Vietnamese are taking their war over to Cambodia. When they forced people to move from their homes to become slaves, they are showing forced migration. Another important idea of this movie is folk culture. From the beginning, the Ung family can be seen dancing to Cambodian folk music on the radio. The music came up again when the soldiers were dancing and promising themselves to follow Khmer Rouge. While migrating to the labor camps and also starving at the camps, Loung can be seen eating bugs and reptiles, such as crickets, tarantulas, and snakes. This way of eating is part of Cambodia's folk culture, because not many people from MDCs, like the US, are eating bugs regularly. Religion is also another major part of this movie. Many people, and especially the Ung family, is obviously Buddhist since we can see the kids praying to Buddha's statue before they will be split up, and other men and women praying at the temple at the end of the movie. While under the control of the Khmer Rouge, they were forced to drop Buddhism and have no religion at all because they were Communist. This movie captures the tragedy of the Cambodian genocide very strongly and also in a child's point of view. It made me tear up when her parents died. I rate this 9.5/10, because it was really long.

21joukDate: Sunday, 2018-01-07, 2:35 PM | Message # 3
Private
Jocelyn Ouk
Period 4

First They Killed My Father depicts the Cambodian genocide through a child's eyes. In 1975, the Khmer Rouge invaded Phnom Penh, forcing the people and their families to evacuate for fear of being killed. Two million people in Phnom Penh had to leave the city on foot for the countryside at gunpoint. This is causing political conflict because when the civil war in Cambodia began it got caught up in another country's war: Vietnam who was fighting against the French for independence at the same time. Millions of Cambodian city dwellers were now forced into manual slave work in rural areas which is an example of forced labor or human trafficking. Survival was determined by one's ability to work. Therefore, Cambodia's elderly, handicapped, ill and children suffered huge casualties for their inability to perform physical labor on a daily basis. This will affect the population pyramid and the dependency ratio. Culture also plays a role in the movie. From the beginning of the movie, you see the Ung family speaking Khmer, dancing to their music and eating different kinds of food. Religion is also an important part of the movie. Majority of the population in Cambodia are Buddhist so it's obvious that there will be Buddha statues everywhere. Before the Ung family dispersed in order to survive, they prayed in front of the statue and also at the end of the movie at the temple. First They Killed My Father presents as an unforgettable retelling history of Cambodia through a personal lens. It is a beautifully crafted reminder that the impacts of war and violence are never erased, and carry on as painful, brutal and disturbing stories.

21nsihatayDate: Sunday, 2018-04-08, 7:24 PM | Message # 4
Private
The movie, First They Killed My Father portrays of the events of the Genocide happening within Cambodia from a child's point of view, leading up to moments before and after the invasion of Phnom Penh. Ultimately as the Khmer Rogue had forced people out of the city in fear upon commanding them to follow their rules as they are "equal", results in imperialism. The storyline follows the family as you can see that there life before within the city was ideal as they lived in an apartment, ate traditional meals, and enjoyed the life of a citizen. Unfortunately, they were sent out into the countryside where no one accepted them in fear of being captured as well. You can really identify the folk culture as they were traveling by cattle and ox being carried by wagon, and lived in huts, as to those who lived in buildings. They were forced to migrate leading to a camp where they had been caught in a war between the Vietnamese and French. There the dependency ratio was no very crucial as survival depended on working conditions and age. It was easy to influence children rather than older men and women who would be out in line. Culture plays an important role in this as well as you can see as Loung eats many different types of insects and even the egg of a snake. As the country was under communist rule you can see how many in the movie did not show any type of religions until the children were praying to the statue or when people were praying for their lives, as it is commonly known that many people are Buddhist. The movie captured my attention as I thought Loung had looked similar to be despite not being Cambodian. I cried so many times for the gruesome scenes, when she thought she had lost all her family members, and the killing of her parents and older sister. In the movie the soldiers had talked about the Americans and how we were bad people when no help was being sent as they were one of those neutral countries in the war. Everything was pleasing including the fact that there wasn't much dialogue, and you really have to be focused in order to understand the storyline.

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 4 » First They Killed My Father
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: