Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

Sprawling From Grace: The Consequences of Suburbanization - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 7 » Sprawling From Grace: The Consequences of Suburbanization
Sprawling From Grace: The Consequences of Suburbanization
LunowDate: Monday, 2012-03-26, 7:32 PM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
"Over the years, Americans have spread across the country in waves of movement from cities to suburbia. This thought-provoking documentary explores the negative aspects of this situation, especially the dependence on automobiles and foreign oil. A host of prominent figures -- including former President Bill Clinton and former Governor Michael Dukakis -- discuss innovative ways to build cities and our need for new energy strategies." from Netflix

This documentary links our urban development since World War II to the American fascination with the automobile. It does a decent job in going through the history of the suburb in America. It then extrapolates this development with our culture today. If you wanted to buy a house in the suburbs one day, this movie will have you seriously question many of the basic assumptions we have about the American Dream and the kind of society you will enter when you complete college.

EthanDate: Thursday, 2015-04-09, 6:18 AM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Ethan Tran - Period 4

In this documentary "Sprawling From Grace: The Consequences of Suburbanization", it talks about how suburbanization has caused many problems to arise. One problem is that our solution for decongestion of the highway is to build more roads in and from the highway. We waste all our money into transportation. This causes suburban sprawl to spread even more and devalues private housing because nobody wants to live that close to a highway, it's ascetically unpleasing.
    Another problem of suburban sprawl is that it has caused the struggle for oil to peak. We consume over $30 billion worth of oil a year and it's only going to go up from here. The reason our economy was #2 after WW2 was because cheap oil and cheap energy sources. With China growing and will compete for oil, we cannot sustain our way of lifestyle. Our solution? Transit lines and less cars on the road. The reason for our need for cars is because everything is dispersed. In olden times, cities were more clustered. I think transit transportation will be a key asset to the future, however it's easier said than done.

I give this movie a 6/10 primarily because it wasn't as fascinating and it put me to sleep quite a few times. The idea is there, but it takes an hour+ to convey the message which I think is quite unnecessary and overdone.

Message edited by Ethan - Thursday, 2015-04-09, 6:19 AM

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 7 » Sprawling From Grace: The Consequences of Suburbanization
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: