Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

How The Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » How the Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis » How The Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis (How The Other Half Lives - Short Review)
How The Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis
NoneDate: Monday, 2013-06-10, 10:31 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: 2011-2012
The book that I read was “How the other half lives” by Jacob Riis. He wrote this book in 1890s, is about the author, Jacob, he moved to New York for jobs like other immigrants. When he was living there, he was shocked because he saw the horrible conditions that the poor people, immigrant have to lived in. People that were middle or upper class didn’t know about this.

Riis despised the tenements, which he saw as central to the problem of poverty in New York and responsible for crime, disease, and the perpetuation of the culture of poverty. So to help these poor people, he worked as a reporter and capture the unhealthy, dirty, horrible conditions.

He helped them not only through his words, but mostly through his pictures. Then he put all the pics in this book so everyone can read it and feel their pain so they can help them.

I like this book a lot, it also has many sad stories in here, to me, it is a great book. I give it a 5.

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » How the Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis » How The Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis (How The Other Half Lives - Short Review)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: