Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

In Defense of Food An Eater's Manifesto - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan » In Defense of Food An Eater's Manifesto (Started from the bottom)
In Defense of Food An Eater's Manifesto
BallSoHardDate: Monday, 2013-06-10, 11:12 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
We just want the truth where it's due. I'ma worry about health give a duck about food fatty. Just as a reminder to myself, no cheerios cause they bad for your health. Start at veggies now we here. Started at fruits now we consuming trans fats... - Kevin Hoang. If you never heard "Started From the Bottom", that was my rendition of it based on what I read in this novel, In Defense of Food An Eater's Manifesto, by Michael Pollan. Overall, the book didn't really pull me in like I had hoped. When I first read the title, the word, "Food", led me to think that this book would convey the different foods from cultures around the world. When I read what the book was really about, I was disappointed. But there was no turning back. The book really focuses on what really goes into your food and whether it's healthy or not. It also talks about how things are being implemented into our food and we keep consuming and consuming like it isn't bad. One thing that angered me a lot was that Michael Pollan revealed to me that Cheerios lowering your cholesterol is just a myth, just a marketing ad to make more revenue. Not that I have cholesterol problems, but you want the truth but you can't handle the truth. An allusion to the movie "A Few Good Men" shows how I feel about food. I want to know what's really in my food, but I can't handle knowing that what I'm eating is synthetic and not actually food. Well, this book told me the truth alright... Later Pollan addresses what he calls the ,"elephant in the room", referring to the Western diet of too many unhealthy foods, not enough whole foods. We, as in Americans. are consuming too many processed foods and meats, and many other things. But not enough of the things our body needs. To cut things short, I'll give this book a solid 3.0/5.0. Maybe if you enjoy reading about the food industry and learning about nutritionism, you'll really enjoy this book as those are main topics.

Message edited by BallSoHard - Monday, 2013-06-10, 11:13 PM

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan » In Defense of Food An Eater's Manifesto (Started from the bottom)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: