Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

*** 3 stars... :( - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer » *** 3 stars... :( (*** 3 stars)
*** 3 stars... :(
khanhDate: Sunday, 2013-06-09, 7:02 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer goes through several countries that have been heavily impacted by soccer. From Serbian secession to Iranian secular nationalism, soccer was a driving force or the igniter behind a lot of things. At first I regretted picking this book because I had no background on soccer. I've never played soccer nor have I watched it. After reading this book, I feel that soccer is more important than I thought. Rather than just a game, it ignites the flames of nationalism and patriotism. Some chapters I liked, others I hated. My favorite chapter is probably the Iranian one with women's rights (I thought it was inspiring!), other than that I thought the rest was okay. I hated the Brazilian soccer chapter, so boring. Then again, I have no background in soccer. I started this book with forced optimism, and after reading it I still am "iffy" about it. I give this book a 3 out of 5 because it didn't entertain me very much. I understood what the book was trying to say, but found it hard to keep reading. Therefore I had to bring it everywhere with me from Costco to the doctor's in an attempt to finish it on time. X__X If you like soccer I'm sure you'd love this!
(Hey at least I can say something when someone starts talking about soccer happy )

Themes from AP HUG include: Migration, Globalization (of course), Politics, Ethnic & Religious Conflicts, ....

Khanh Nguyen
Period 3

Message edited by khanh - Sunday, 2013-06-09, 10:55 PM

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » How Soccer Explains the World by Franklin Foer » *** 3 stars... :( (*** 3 stars)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: