Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

***** Five Stars - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell » ***** Five Stars (Nancy Tran)
***** Five Stars
NancyDate: Tuesday, 2011-06-21, 8:07 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
My favorite part of the book is when the author asks the reader to take a minute and make a list of all the people whose death would leave us devastated. He said that the average person would have 12 people on this list because at 15, people are at an overload. The more people on the list, the less likely people are to be close to everyone on their list. He says, ““To be someone’s best friend requires a minimum investment of time. More than that though, it takes emotional energy. Caring about someone deeply is exhausting.”

I truly enjoyed reading this book because it has ideas presented as both facts and personal messages that anyone can relate to (for example, the reference to Sesame Street and Blues Clues—almost everyone has watched these TV shows as children). This book is very much about business; it can be used by business people to help spread ideas and to sell a product. I recommend anyone who has taken AP psychology already to read the book because they would understand the many experiment references (Stanford prison, bystander effect, etc.).

For a fun fact and an application to our high school lives, I was reading this book while I was trying to convince my friend to go to prom smile , and I could say that this book made me think about ways to get my friend to agree to go. Now I’m not saying that I’m guaranteeing anything. I’m not saying “you should read this book, it’ll give you advice on how to ask someone to prom and make sure he/she says yes tongue ,” but the idea that somehow, you can convince someone using the right way you present an idea, the right people, and pressing the right buttons (the stickiness factor), you can really sell your idea and change people’s minds.

You should definitely read this, and I hope you could take out of it as much as I did! cool

Message edited by Nancy - Tuesday, 2011-06-21, 8:19 AM

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell » ***** Five Stars (Nancy Tran)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: