Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

Freakonomics- 3.5/5~ Bryan Wu P. 4 - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Freakonomics by Steven Levitt » Freakonomics- 3.5/5~ Bryan Wu P. 4 (Interesting, but dragged out)
Freakonomics- 3.5/5~ Bryan Wu P. 4
xoxoDate: Sunday, 2012-06-10, 8:21 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
Maybe I was searching for something more direct, something that really "cut to the chase." Freakonomics, by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner engross us through 6 studies, all tying to two underlying themes: Are we living in a world of morals or incentives? . . . Is conventional wisdom all that we've grown up to believe? Through these six studies, the authors bring in multitudes of data to show readers the "hidden side of everything." They absolutely go in depth, comprehensively illustrating to us how incentives and economics drive people's actions. Some things we might not want to read, such as parent's "obssessive actions," while some things, we relish in reading, such as the secret codes of the Klu Klux Klan, the most engrossing chapter, in my opinion. To keep it simple, this bhook is for those who want to think "outside the box." Maybe things aren't always what they seem? If you're looking for the answers to impossible questions in life, such as the effectiveness of parents on children's life, then this book is for you. However, be warned, this book can be BORING at times. I mean, I wish the authors spent more time teaching us life lessons than writing to us numerous anecdotes. Overall, the book was worth the time. The studies are as follows: "What do Schoolteachers and Sumo Wrestlers Have in Common?" "How is the Klu Klux Klan Like a Group of Real- Estate Agents?" "Why do Drug Deals Still Live With Their Moms?" "Where Have All the Criminals Gone?" "What Makes a Perfect Parent?" "Perfect Parenting Part II; Or: Would a Roshanda By Any Other Name Smell As Sweet?"

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » Freakonomics by Steven Levitt » Freakonomics- 3.5/5~ Bryan Wu P. 4 (Interesting, but dragged out)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: