Welcome noob | Registration | Login

Mr.Lunow’s AP Human Geography

Site menu
Login form
Statistics

**** Four Stars - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Book Reviews By Students » How to Run the World by Parag Khanna » **** Four Stars (Kevin Ha)
**** Four Stars
KevinHaDate: Sunday, 2011-06-19, 9:27 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
This book was not an easy read but it was very informative and kept my interest the whole time. This book talks about the baby steps we need to fix, and run, the world that we live in. Parag Khanna compares are current diplomatic situation to the Middle Ages with the rise of mercenaries, religious radicals, and terrorism. It is a great book for this class because it talks about nearly every chapter thoroughly. From urban geography, to agriculture, to development, to geopolitics, Parag Khanna does a good job at addressing our world's problems. Furthermore, he follows up these problems by offering solutions to resolve them. He also provides brilliant insight on where he thinks the world is headed, which is toward an era of complete chaos. By listening to and acknowledging what Parag Khanna has to say, we can unite as a people and put an end to the crises we face today: HIV, terrorism, unstable nations, the global financial meltdown, etc.
I recommend this book to future AP Human Geography students who are interested in the way the world works. I would definitely read this book again to clarify points and gain a deeper understanding. It is a good book to read even if it seems difficult to read at first. Oh, and you can always ask to borrow it if you don't want to buy it for the book report, my fellow AP HUG students ! biggrin

JHuynhDate: Tuesday, 2011-06-21, 6:52 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
How to Run the World - Parag Khanna
This book starts off with Khanna explaining that the only way to reach the next 'renaissance' is to achieve global diplomacy. Khanna says that the world situation now is comparable to that of the Middle Ages. The powerful completely dominate the poor. To reach world peace, we must reach diplomacy. He explains that diplomacy doesn't mean global wealth, but rather local prosperity. He says that countries like Botswana shouldn't compare themselves to powerful countries like the US but rather to the countries around them. In that point of view, they are very prosperous and have local success. This is what Khanna says will bring about diplomacy. He gives many theories on how to solve the world's problems, which countries are successful, and which countries aren't. Throughout the story, he has examples of numerous countries and how they could solve their problems and become successful. In the end, he just wants people to listen and that if everyone could hear his message, many problems arising around the world can be prevented.
I actually really liked this book. It's a bit of a dry read but brings up many great points and is actually relevant to every day life. At first, I rated it a 2 but I'd like to change my rating. happy This book is a solid 4 and is a very interesting, thought provoking read. Future AP HuG kids should DEFINITELY read it!

Forum » Book Reviews By Students » How to Run the World by Parag Khanna » **** Four Stars (Kevin Ha)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: