Little Buddha - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 3 » Little Buddha
Little Buddha
LunowDate: Monday, 2012-12-24, 12:51 PM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
Lama Norbu comes to Seattle in search of the reincarnation of his dead teacher, Lama Dorje. His search leads him to young Jesse Conrad, Raju, a waif from Kathmandu, and an upper class Indian girl. Together, they journey to Bhutan where the three children must undergo a test to prove which is the true reincarnation. Interspersed with this, is the story of Siddharta, later known as the Buddha. It traces his spiritual journey from ignorance to true enlightenment. - Samantha Santa Maria @imdb.com

This movie tells two stories simultaneously. The two strands of the movie intertwine as the movie progresses. On the one hand, the story recounts the life and journey of Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha). It also tells a contemporary story of the search for a new lama and the Buddhist belief in reincarnation. If you wondered about the central beliefs and origins of Buddhism, then this is a good movie for you.

SkyMTPDate: Monday, 2015-04-06, 5:44 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
I just finished watching the movie. Overall, I think it captured the culture of Buddhism in Asia very well. The infused scenes of Buddha's life along with the search for the reincarnation Lama Dorje (dead Buddhist monk) really make the plot interesting. I don't want to spoil anything, but it was very alluring to find out that one of the Lama Dorje's incarnations was an American boy living in Seattle. In conclusion, the movie was great in my opinion, but it was very long and could become very mundane and humdrum to many.

Hung Vu
Period 5

trancommajessicaDate: Tuesday, 2015-04-07, 10:36 PM | Message # 3
Private
I chose to watch this movie because religion has always been something that interests me deeply. After watching this film, I definitely find myself understanding the core concepts of Buddhism much better as well as understanding a follower's point of view. Despite the fact that this is a VERY long movie, I would recommend it because I think it is very important to understand others' beliefs and values. Watching this movie was actually entertaining because it wasn't a documentary and had a story line to it!

Jessica Tran
Period 4

Message edited by trancommajessica - Tuesday, 2015-04-07, 10:37 PM

19ahoDate: Friday, 2016-04-15, 11:39 PM | Message # 4
Private
Annie Ho - Period 3

The film, Little Buddha, captures the origin of Buddhism and its beliefs by telling a story of a Buddhist monk, Lama Normu, traveling to Seattle in search for the reincarnation of his teacher, Lama Dorje. He finds a boy named Jesse and brings him back to Bhutan where Jesse and two other candidates are tested to see if they are the actual reincarnation of Lama Dorje. Also, the story of Siddhartha Gautama journey of becoming Buddha is told throughout the movie. 

The Little Buddha demonstrates the human geography concept of religion and culture. Buddhism originated from prince, Siddhartha Gautama/Buddha, when he left his kingdom only to discover suffering, disease, and death which causes him to go on a journey to find the truth behind these concepts. Therefore, Buddhists believe in the Four Noble Truths which are the truth of suffering, the truth of the cause of suffering, the truth of the path that leads to the end of suffering, and the truth of enlightenment. Since Buddhism is a universalizing religion, it is applicable to everyone even an American boy like Jesse. Furthermore, in the Buddhists' culture, they would not eat living creatures for they believed in reincarnation, and they would always bow in the presence of Buddha's statue. This films shows what role different cultures and religions play in people's lives around the world.

I would rate this movie a 4/5 because overall it did splendid job of displaying cultural and religious concepts of Buddhism and how it came to be. However, there were some parts of the that were very slow. Literally they spent approximately 2 minutes filming a bowl floating down a river. I would recommend this movie to people that would like to learn more about Buddhism.

21qnguyen2Date: Saturday, 2018-01-06, 4:03 PM | Message # 5
Private
Quan Nguyen - Period 2

The film, Little Buddha, simultaneously tells two different stories. One is the search for Lama Dorje's  (Lama thunderbolt) reincarnation, and the other one is the origin of Buddhism. A Tibetan Buddhist monk named Lama Norbu believes that an American boy named Jesse is the reincarnation of his teacher Lama Dorje. Lama Norbu came to America hoping to bring the boy to Tibet in order to confirm that he is the reincarnation of Lama Dorje. Jesse's parents meet Lama Norbu and a first did not believe in this being a possibility. Lama Norbu tries to convince Jesse and his family to believe him, he tells Jesse the origin of Buddhism and the life of Siddhartha Gautama. He finally convinces the family to come to Tibet with him. When they arrive at Tibet, two other children were also believed to be Lama Dorje's reincarnation. The three kids were Jesse, Raju (a boy), and Gita (a girl). To know which one of these three children were Lama Dorje's reincarnation, they have to go through tests in order to see which one is his reincarnation. When the tests are over, they come down to the conclusion that all three was Lama Dorje's reincarnation. Jesse was the mind, Raju was the manifestations of the body, and Gita was his speech. After Lama Norbu's work to find his teacher's reincarnation is finish, he enters a deep meditation and died. During his funeral, Lama Norbu tells the children to have compassion, and before the film end, the viewers see the children distributing Lama Norbu ashes.

The film is linked to the unit of culture for various reasons. This film is about the origin of Buddhism and more specifically the culture of Tibetan Buddhism. Religion is a significant part of cultures, and this film is based on the practices of Tibetan Buddhism. The belief in reincarnation is deeply Buddhist, like the way with Lama Dorje's reincarnation into Jesse, Raju, and Gita. Along with the way a culture spread, by people going around and promoting the culture. Through the search of Lama Dorje's reincarnation, Lama Norbu spread the culture of Tibetan Buddhism. Overall, the film Little Buddha tells the culture of Tibetan Buddhism to the world or to people like me who enjoy watching it.

From the perspective of someone watching this film for the first time, I would rate this movie a 4.5 out of 5. This movie correctly retell the story of Buddha and how Buddhism came to be. Along with the culture of Tibetan Buddhism is something I would like to learn more about. The only down side to this film is the acting of the children. As kids, they don't know how to fully bring alive their characters, they just acts like the way adult tell them to without adding their own spices to it. I would sincerely recommend people who have an interest in religion especially Buddhism and want to learn more about it to watch this great movie.

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 3 » Little Buddha
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: