The Linguists - Forum

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 3 » The Linguists
The Linguists
LunowDate: Saturday, 2011-11-19, 7:12 PM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Administrators
The Linguists is a hilarious and poignant chronicle of two scientists—David Harrison and Gregory Anderson—racing to document languages on the verge of extinction. In Siberia, India, and Bolivia, the linguists confront head-on the very forces silencing languages: racism, humiliation, and violent economic unrest. David and Greg's journey takes them deep into the heart of the cultures, knowledge, and communities at risk when a language dies. - from PBS.org

One of the parts of the unit on culture includes a study of languages. I watched this movie a while ago when Netflix offered it on its streaming option. Netflix no longer allows you to stream the movie, and they do not have the license to add it to the movies that you can watch through them. This is one of those that you will have to find online, or else purchase it...

I do remember watching it and thinking that the movie was very good. It won an award at the Sundance Movie Festival. The advertising blurb states that the linguists are modern day Indiana Joneses. I am not sure about that. Nothing explodes and no one dies in this movie. Nothing glitzy or flashy, but I did think that it neatly addresses the fact that countless movies are dying every year as popular culture threatens and kills endangered languages and cultures.

I do recommend this movie as it shows how globalization is killing local cultures (through languages). There is an uplifting message as our protagonists (linguists) travel the world trying to save some record of disappearing languages.

kennyle2341Date: Sunday, 2016-01-03, 9:29 PM | Message # 2
Private
Group: Users
Kenny Le
Period 3

The Linguist is an interesting look into the worlds preservation of language. Two scientist, David Harrison and Gregory Anderson, travel the world to discover and record obscure and almost extinct languages. The documentary captures their journey in Siberia, India, and Bolivia. There they interview and record the language of the people. In many cases the people have been silenced by prejudice and other issues. What Harrison and Anderson wish accomplish is to preserve the language and culture of the world before it is too late.

Most of the topics that are in the movie is the relations many languages have to common ancestor. Sora, a language of a tribe in India, shares many similarities to other Indian languages. Also the assimilation of cultures to more western culture has played a large influence in the peoples' views on the usage of other languages. 

I truly enjoyed this movie as it covers a topic that I personally am unaware of, and unsympathetic too as I favor the growth of a singular language. However, the movie shed some light ion the adverse effects of losing vast language of the world. It is something that shows the frustration and effects popular culture has on the world's culture. I give it a 4/5

21ktran9Date: Sunday, 2018-01-07, 10:54 PM | Message # 3
Private
Group: Users
Kayla Tran Period 3

This movie explains how because of globalization and colonialism, small languages are growing extinct and are dying. Without a language, not only do the people not have a distinct form of communicating, they also lose their culture. Languages can also show history. For example, using Kallawaya, its people passed on their art of special healing through their own unique, secret language from over 400 years ago.

Languages usually die because its people are forced to take on a new language. For example boarding schools in India have to teach their students English as a form of trade and to help their students in their future jobs. Hindi is also taught because it is India's language, but English is more focused on since it leads a promising future.

Forum » Additional Suggested Movies » Unit 3 » The Linguists
  • Page 1 of 1
Search: